Professional Music Mastering That Make Your Songs Shine
Mastering is the final step in the music production process and its important for many technical reasons (explained below in the music mastering FAQs)
More importantly, on an artistic level mastering should:
- Draw the best out of the music you’ve pour your time, passion and creativity into.
- Bring together an album of songs as a whole in just the right way.
I offer music mastering for all genres and project types including singles, EPs and albums. I love helping independent artist releases sound like they came from a major label.
Music Mastering Process
The most important thing you need to know about my process is that your songs will be mastered by a professional audio engineer. They will have superior sound quality and be tailored to your mix.
Step 1. Get In Touch
I want to know more about you project whether it’s a single song or a whole album. I will work with you to make sure the mixes are ready and so I understand the sound you’re aiming for.
Step 2. Mastering
Once I’m comfortable that we’re on the same page, you’ll pay for your masters and I will master your song or songs. Generally the first master will be ready to release BUT if there needs to be some tweaks we’ll make those until you’re satisfied.
Step 3. Ready For Release
Once you’re happy with the masters and ready for them to be released I will deliver the final hi-res masters in .wav and .mp3 audio files for you to upload to streaming platforms or transfer to physical formats.
No subscription fees or monthly plans. No online mastering tools. Just a real mastering engineer providing online audio mastering services.
- $60 per single streaming master.
- $55 per song for projects with 3 – 7 songs.
- $50 per song for album mastering.
If you need CD or vinyl masters, these can be provided for an additional $10 per song.
Music Mastering Samples
- Acoustic "Reflections" (Before Mastering) Fear Of Flight 2:02
- Acoustic "Reflections" (After Mastering) Fear Of Flight 2:02
- Indie Electro "She'll Break Your Heart" (Before Mastering) Jack To Lightspeed 1:58
- Indie Electro "She'll Break Your Heart" (After Mastering) Jack To Lightspeed 1:58
- Pop Trap "Look At Me Now" (Before Mastering) Sonny 1:42
- Pop Trap "Look At Me Now" (After Mastering) Sonny 1:42
- Rock "Kick Down The Doors" (Before Mastering) Antechinus 1:18
- Rock "Kick Down The Doors" (After Mastering) Antechinus 1:18
- Alternative "Lines & Power Lines" (Before Mastering) Board of Transportation 2:04
- Alternative "Lines & Power Lines" (After Mastering) Board of Transportation 2:04
Getting The Best Masters
I’m not going to sugar coat it, high-quality mixing helps you to get the best sounding masters. Modern mastering tools are pretty amazing but there are only so many things they can do.
Do you need professional audio mixing and mastering services?
Okay, How Can I Get You To Master My Songs?
Glad you asked. First thing to do is get in touch using the form below to start discussing your project. We’ll talk about your vision, reference tracks and any other relevant questions you might have.
Sometimes mastering can be a bit intimidating if you don’t know what it is. Whether you’re working at home in GarageBand or you’ve been tracking in a professional recording studio, don’t be afraid to get in touch.
Music Mastering Services FAQ
What is Mastering?
Mastering plays a technical and artistic roll in the finishing of a song, EP or album. Mastering a track should:
- Balance the perceived volume of each track on an album or EP so that there is continuity between each track.
- Balance the tonality of each track e.g. make sure the vocals are of comparable loudness between each track, make sure the bass isn’t too loud in one track or too quiet in another.
- For singles the process is still the same but you’re making your sonic benchmark other similar commercial tracks and the medium that the single will be played on predominantly.
- Correct any issues with individual songs e.g. excessive sibilance in the vocals (harsh s and t sounds that stick out) missed in the mixing process, percussive elements which “pop out”, rogue frequencies which may have been missed because the mixing environment wasn’t neutral etc.
- Bring your finished project to a reasonably loud volume suitable to the genre whilst retaining musical dynamics i.e. not squashing the life out of your mixes but making it commercially comparable.
Find out more about the difference between mixing and mastering?
Do I need to get my music mastered?
The short answer – heck yes!
As explained above, mastering your music adds continuity to you tracks on an album or EP. It also helps to get your music in the ballpark sonically where other commercial releases sit. Having your track mastered by the engineer who mixed your tracks is generally discouraged because they may lack the perspective to see the finished mix. It’s similar to a painter who frames his own paintings, they may find it hard to the see the finished painting and pick a nice frame because they are still so focused on the process.
You can read more in the blog post “What Is Audio Mastering & Is It Necessary?“
What Files Should I Send You?
I can work with mp3 files at a pinch but for best results high resolution .wav or .aiff files that are 24-bit 96kHz are best.
Do You Do Attended Sessions?
So I can give you the highest possible quality masters at a competitive price I only provide online mastering services. You still get the personal touch of an attended session and I am completely happy to answer any questions you might have about your mastering project.
Why Can’t I Use An AI Mastering Service?
Sometimes it might make sense to use an AI assisted mastering service. Say for a demo or a bunch of cues that need to be turned around quickly that have been mixed really well.
If you’ve hired a recording studio, paid someone good money to mix the songs or spent hours crafting your mixes yourself – why would you not give your songs the investment they deserve and finish strong?
As mentioned previously, mastering is a continuity, compliance and corrective process. If all your mixes were perfectly mixed with the bass all the same loudness, the top end balance, the vocals sitting exactly the same in each song and the low-mids are perfectly mixed and … you get the picture.
The bottom line is that whilst AI assisted mastering will probably make the mix sound louder and punchy it can also enhance a mix in unpredictable ways that are not desireable.
I actually use AI in my mastering process BUT I also know when it’s made the wrong choices and can correct them.
No Unlimited Masters
Why I don’t offer unlimited mastering?
Your music is art, art isn’t a commodity. When the mastering process becomes a commodity, like data on your phone or your Netflix subscription, it goes from being an artisan process to an industrial process.
Unlimited mastering or automated mastering, takes away one of the most valuable aspects of working with a mastering engineer. A personal relationship.
I work with all my clients to not only get them the best master but to help and answer their questions and give them advice on many aspects of the music production and release process.